What is the background for the establishment the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) ?
In 1972, recognizing the important contributions of the commodities industry to the country’ s economic growth, the Ministry of Primary Industries was established by the government.
During its initial stage, the Ministry of Primary Industries was only focusing on the development of the tin ore and rubber, the two main commodities development. The ministry’s role was expanded later to include the development other commodities such as palm oil, cocoa, forestry, minerals, pineapple and tobacco which also contributed to the country’s economy.
In 2004, the ministry was restructured and renamed as the Ministry of Plantation Industries and Commodities (MPIC). The Pepper Marketing Board, were previously under the responsibility of the Ministry of Agriculture was included in MPIC whilst matters relating to forestry, mineral and geo-science were transferred to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, under the new structure. Other main responsibilities of MPIC remain unchanged.
In 2012, KPPK was rebranded and its acronym was changed to MPIC.
In 2018, MPIC re-branding the name of the Ministry of Plantation Industries and Commodities to the Ministry of Primary Industries and is now known as MPI.
- To formulate policies and strategies for the overall development of the plantation and the commodity sectors.
- To supervise departments and agencies under the Ministry on financial management and implementation of plantation and commodities development programs.
What is MPI’s vision ?
To make Malaysia the centre of excellence for the commodity sector and as a major producer of higher value-added commodity-based products in the global markets.
What is the MPI’s mission?
To ensure Malaysia's international competitiveness in the commodity-based industries and their contribution towards national development.
- To maximize the contribution of the commodity-based industries to national income including GDP and foreign exchange earnings.
- To make Malaysia a centre of excellence in R&D, technology and services in commodity-based industries.
- To increase the efficiency, productivity, quality and sustainability of primary industries based on K-economy.
- To enhance marketing capabilities in order to increase market share particularly in niche markets.
- Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB)
- Malaysian Rubber Board (LGM)
- Malaysian Timber Industry Board (MTIB)
- Malaysian Cocoa Board (LKM)
- Malaysian Pepper Board (MPB)
- National Kenaf and Tobaccoa Board (LKTN)
There are 6 councils under MPI as follows :
- Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC)
- Malaysian Rubber Export Promotion Council (MREPC)
- Malaysian Timber Council (MTC)
- Malaysian Timber Certificate Council (MTCC)
- Malaysian furniture Promotion Council (MFPC)
Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI)
Tel : 603-8000 8000
Website : www.mpi.gov.my
Email : mpi_helpdesk[@]mpi.gov.my
Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB)
Tel : 603-8769 4400
Website : www.mpob.gov.my
Email : general[@]mpob.gov.my
Malaysian Rubber Board (LGM)
Tel : 603-92062000
Website : www.lgm.gov.my
Email : general[@]lgm.gov.my
Malaysian Timber Industry Board (MTIB)
Tel : 603-9282 2235
Website : www.mtib.gov.my
Email : info[@]mtib.gov.my
Malaysian Cocoa Board (LKM)
Tel : 088-234477
Website : www.koko.gov.my
Email : mcb_enquiry[@]koko.gov.my
Malaysian Pepper Board (MPB)
Tel : 082-331811
Website : www.mpb.gov.my
Email : info[@]mpb.gov.my
National Kenaf and Tobaccoa Board (LKTN)
Tel : 609-766 8000
Website : www.lktn.gov.my
Email : ukk [@] lktn.gov.my